The Daisy Chain Beadwork Stitch, especially one with a single "daisy and a length of single-row beads resembling a stem, make the cutest lightweight beaded necklaces, bracelets and anklets made of beads. This bead stitch is so simple that even a beginner can master it in less than an hour. The Daisy Chain Beadwork Stitch makes a crisp and refreshing piece of casual beaded jewelry; perfect to wear after that winter vacation on your newly-tanned wrist.
Time Required: 1 hour for a Daisy Chain Beadwork Stitch bracelet or anklet
- Begin by threading your beading needle with about 4 feet of PowerPro or other beading thread. If you use a thread such as Nymo, make sure to use a Size D or larger and stretch the thread before you begin working.
- Knot the end of the thread and place one of the clamshells on the needle, shell opening out, away from the needle. Place it over the knot and add a dab of glue. Close the clamshell with the chainnose pliers.
- Add 6 or 7 seed beads (size 11/0) in the color of your choice. This will be the "stem" color.
- Add 4 size 11/0 white beads, and 1 yellow or orange size 11/0 bead for a white and yellow/orange flower. You may substitute bead colors of your choice. Pass the thread through the first white bead closest to the last green bead strung, pointing the needle back in the direction from which it came. Pull snug.
- Add 2 white beads to the thread, and pass the needle through the 4th white bead added in Step 4. This will be the bead closest to the red/orange bead.
- Repeat from Step 3 until your chain reaches the length desired.
- Add the other clamshell to the end of the thread, shell opening toward the needle. Make a large knot very close to the clamshell, so that the thread holds tight and add a drop of 527 glue. Alternately, if you have trouble getting the knot close to the clamshell, cut the thread off of the needle, add a single size 11/0 bead to one of the threads, and tie several overhand knots around the Size 11/0 bead. Add glue to the knot and the Size 11/0 bead. Close the clamshell.
- Add finding to the clamshell and you Daisy Chain is ready to wear!
- Use a doubled strand of Nymo Brand thread, waxed well.
- If you use another thread, be sure to wax it, too. This holds the beads in shape.
- Add dagger beads along the stem section as litle leaves.
- Change to a black center bead and yellow surrounding leave for a Black Eyed Susan.
What You Need:
- Beading Thread - your choice
- Beads - Size 11/0 in green, white, and yellow/orange stripe
- Beads - Dagger Type in transparent dark green
- Beading wax
- Beading needle size 12
- Clasp, button, fish hook or other closure for a jewelry item
- Clean cloth to give the beads a final wipe-off when the piece is done